Over the past (almost) three years of blogging, I have learned a lot more about myself, teaching, blogging, WordPress, CSS, HTML, and social media than I ever really thought I would. Most of it has been good, or at least fun. Some of it hasn’t been all that great, but I keep on keeping on.
As we close out each year, I like to take a sort of retrospective on the past year and look at some of the most popular articles from the year. I’ve traditionally broken this retrospective into three individual posts (2007 Loneliest/Busiest/Overlooked, 2008 Loneliest/Busiest/Overlooked), but this year I’ll do things a little differently and pack everything into one huge year-end blowout.
The busiest articles of 2009
2009 really saw Twitter begin to do some crazy things to my blog. So much so that I have actually considered turning off comments altogether and just letting the conversations flow across the social media spheres. I still have comments on for now, but it takes up more and more time to weed through the junk. That being said, I’ve decided to break the popular posts down into various categories.
The 10 most discussed overall
Whether it be on Twitter, Facebook, or comments on the site, these were the most discussed articles from SYWTT in 2009.
- 30 Twitter Tips for Teachers
- 25 Free Apps And Websites For Tech-Loving Teachers
- Google Wave Will Revolutionize Online Classroom Instruction
- 20 Free Tech Tools for Learning and Communicating
- Twitter Guide for Teachers
- 20 Blogs I Wish Were Around When I Started Teaching
- The Power of Potential: 19 Educational Uses for Google Wave
- 20 Great Websites for Teachers
- 85+ Cool Sites I Found In October Via Twitter
- 10 Things A First Year Teacher Should Do
10 more of the popular articles
Beyond these 10 high-performing articles, there were some others that were also popular in the social media circles.
- Recession 2009 And Its Impact On Teaching
- Who’s Looking For A Job This Summer?
- Should All Great Blogs Have A Comments Policy?
- When Is It Time To Relocate?
- Wake Up Call
- Help A Struggling Teacher Out!
- Graduate First – Why I Won’t Add You As My Facebook Friend Yet
- Carnival of Education #214: The Day To End All Days
- Video: How To Use Twitter In The Classroom
- Video: Texting While Driving A School Bus? Are You Serious?
The overlooked articles of 2009
Some of the best stuff on the blog just didn’t catch on for one reason or another. Even so, I still think these articles are well worth your time.
- 50 Online Reference Sites for Teachers
- 20 Classic SYWTT Articles And Series
- Find A Moment (Total Teacher Transformation Day 1)
- 20 Free Online Tools, Apps, and Downloads
- Teacher Burnout: 20 Insights From a 17-Year Veteran Teacher On The Brink of Burnout
- Total Teacher Transformation Begins
- Total Teacher Transformation: Hope For All Teachers
- Teacher Burnout: A Sad Story
- Seven Years Later: 7 Things I Would Do Before My First Year As A Teacher If I Knew Then What I Know Now
- 45 Tasks for Parent Volunteers in the Classroom
The 10 most visited pages on SYWTT
Additionally, we got to the point back in April where the blog is averaging just under 1,000 pageviews a day. As a result, a lot of articles get viewed every day. I thought it would be interesting to list here the pages on the site that got the most views throughout 2009. A few of them were written this year, and some others have been popular since the early days of SYWTT. The top 10 articles are listed with their pageviews and publication date.
- Are Classroom Rules Needed? (5,278 views) 7/26/2008
- 5 Surefire Tips For Handling Misbehavior (5,358 views) 9/12/2007
- Habit 2: Classroom Procedures (5,420 views) 6/10/2007
- Valid Reasons Teachers Quit (6,280 views) 7/08/2007
- 20 Blogs I Wish Were Around When I Started Teaching (6,730 views) 4/05/2009
- 50 Reasons To Love Your Job As A Teacher (6,930 views) 11/30/2007
- 5 Character Traits Of Great Teachers (7,181 views) 11/29/2007
- 25 Free Apps And Websites For Tech-Loving Teachers (7,359 views) 7/08/2009
- How Do I Keep My Students Quiet? (9,965 views) 6/07/2007
- 9 Reasons To Quit Teaching (And 10 Reasons To Stick) (13,080 views) 6/18/2007