A friend from college recently posted the following on her Facebook status:
How do teachers not spend so much money over the summer???
I threw a quick response in my typical list-type style, but then I realized these things might benefit some of my readers as well. So here’s the list I gave her:
- Go to dollar movies (actually first run movies are $3 where I live)
- Find a friend who works on the country club and go play golf for free on his days off
- Practice guitar (for church) and trumpet (for mariachi)
- Go to the park (disc golf is cheap)
- Budget and use cash for all purchases
- Our bowling alley has $1 Tuesdays and buy one get one free on Mondays — there may be similar discounts around you
- Bible reading
- Clean the house
- Play games online
- Respond to friends’ status updates on Facebook
They may not be the most culturally involving things around, but each community has local festivals and free things throughout the summer. I know lots of symphonies have concerts in the park throughout the summer. Even my local community has a musical performance every Friday at the plaza downtown. These are free too.