November is Reader Appreciation Month at So You Want To Teach? Today’s featured reader is Clix.
Occupation: Freshman English; Journalism
Blog: Epic Adventures Are Often Uncomfortable
Tell me some of your favorite things about your job
I seem to be good at it. I get to explore stories and try new ideas and encourage others to do the same. It’s never dull. I love messing with their heads. I love how wee the freshmen are and watching them grow into young ladies and gentlemen (in theory). I love the power of CONTROLLING LIVES – well, at least for an hour or so a day! I love listening to their ideas and seeing the way their minds work.
Tell me some things you loved about your favorite teacher(s)
She was so organized. She knew what she was doing. She gave me the freedom to focus on doing what I was good at and work on excellence in that area while still challenging me in areas where I was weak.
List some of your most effective classroom management strategies
- Make your expectations (for both behavior and learning) very clear.
- Reinforce them regularly.
- Keep students busy with work that MEANS something to them (see #1).
- Follow a regular structure; this will also help students know what to expect.
- Keep your word.
- Stay mobile. As they work, pace the room and watch for signs of confusion or distraction.
Name (up to) three other blogs that you frequently visit/subscribe