So you got that elusive first teaching job. Congratulations. If you experience is anything like mine has been, you now get to spend a few days learning district policies, and then get thrown into the classroom with minimal further instructions. Over the last decade or so, I have been very interested in helping new teachers navigate the difficulties of their first few years, and have written extensively on the topic. This Resource Post contains links to these articles.
- 10 Mistakes New Teachers Make (And How To Avoid Them)
- 10 Things To Do Before The First Day Of School
- 10 Things I Wish Someone Had Explained Before My First Teaching Job
- 10 Things A First Year Teacher Should Do
- Learning New Lessons – Tips for Rookie Teachers
- 10 Things I Wish I Knew As A First Year Teacher
- 50 Things Every First Year Teacher Should Know
- 5 Ways To Survive The First Day of School
- The Adaptive Unconscious: You Never Get A Second Chance To Make A First Impression
- Seven Years Later: 7 Things I Would Do Before My First Year As A Teacher If I Knew Then What I Know Now
How To Maximize The Year
- 10 Keys To Unlocking The Best Possible Student Teaching Semester Ever
- This Year Will Be The Best School Year Ever
- Be The Best Teacher In The World
- 10 Lessons I Have Learned in 10 Years of Teaching
- Just How Important Is Excellence?
- Why I Hated Teaching During My First Two Years
- 101 Great Teaching Tips
Classroom Management Basics
- How Do I Keep My Students Quiet?
- 5 Killer Classroom Management Tips
- 5 Classroom Management Skills Every Teacher Must Have
- What To Do When Students Flagrantly Disregard The Rules
- Arguing Is Normal, Isn’t It?
- How To Avoid Arguing With Students
- Just A Little Bit: 29 Tweaks That Help Me Gain The Respect of My Students
- 20 Dead Simple Classroom Management Ideas, Tricks, and Tips
- Three Basic Classroom Skills
- Make Love not War – How to Control an Unruly Class
- 5 Ways To Win When Children Test Your Limits
- 5 Surefire Tips for Handling Misbehavior
- You Better Smile Before Christmas
- Information Overloaded? 10 Quick Tips To Tame The Tide
- Overcoming Stress In A Stress-Filled Season
- 25 Tips For Less Stress
- If You Make Only One Change This Year…RELAX!!!!!!
- 10 Years of Teaching: How Do I Keep My Sanity?
- The Art of Encouragement
- Questions That Will Save Your Career
- 101 Ways To Make Students Hate Your Class
- All Time Best Teaching Advice
- Common Struggles Every New Teacher Faces (And How To Deal With Them)
- From Burnout Into Ignited Passion: How Blogging, Information Overload, and Running Made Me A Better Teacher
- Do What You Can
- Slow Down!
- 65 Things You Should Do Right Now To Avoid Teacher Burnout
- 6 Motivation Techniques