I thought it was a great question, so I wanted to post my responses here as well as send you over to her blog to offer up some more suggestions (and perhaps subscribe to her RSS feed!). So without further ado, here are 7 things I would do before my first year as a teacher if I knew then what I know now.
- Figure out a classroom management plan (with or without rules) that works well for you.
- Make friends like crazy with other teachers.
- If you don’t have a mentor teacher, get one now.
- If you haven’t done so already, get your résumé in order.
- Apply for jobs beginning yesterday.
- Subscribe to Angela Meiers’ blog.
- Subscribe to Successful Teaching.
What other tips do you have? Share them on her blog. What other blogs do you recommend specifically for newer teachers?